Our last chance

Thanagor

Hello all,

We are truly sorry for the recent silence by us. This post may very well be one of our last. In this post, we’re going to explain everything.

Are we shutting down?

Not yet, we have until the end of January to try and keep IceCold-WoW alive, but that is it.

What’s going to happen now?

In the next few days, we are going to launch a separate realm called ‘Ice-Hyjal’ based on Reaper content. This separate realm is going to be our ‘fun realm’, bringing back max haste, fun PvP, etc. Also, class balance is less of a worry due to max haste.

Can I reclaim my gear on this realm?

No, this realm is brand new. However, if you have purchased one of the high-tier sets on the new Reaper realm, there will be a service on the store which will allow you to pay to transfer over your gear to the new realm.

So this new realm is going to be the same as old Reaper?

Yes and no. It will have max haste, but the content is new, no more boring dungeons with mobs standing still that do nothing, and you had to run around for hours killing. Bosses/mobs in our new dungeons are custom scripted the same as Reaper, so at times it will be a challenge even with max haste. Also, our new world bosses will still be fun.

IceCold-WoW was launched with the idea of being a fun server, so Ice-Hyjal will bring back those days for those who miss it, and with your help, we can all create a fun realm.

How can we keep this server alive?

We are hoping ‘Ice-Hyjal’ will keep our server alive. Of course, player’s donations are what we need to keep everything up. This is no temporary realm, it will be treated as a permanent realm just like the new Reaper. A normal realm, and a fun one, something for everyone.

Is Project Fire (New Ice-Reaper) closing?

No, Ice-Hyjal will hopefully give us time to continue our work on Reaper, make it better, and hopefully one day players will see just how good this realm can be.

What happened to Ice-Eternian?

Sorry that we never clarified why it was shut down. It's because of the login system change. You log in with your email now, and it's using a completely different newer account system to handle that. That newer account system is not supported on the 4.0.6 software, only the newer 4.3 software.
Therefore, for Eternian to work at all on IceCold, upgrading it to 4.3 is necessary. That takes much time and resources, which are focused elsewhere right now. That said, we have not deleted the realm, and restoring it is on the future roadmap.

So, this is it, our last chance to keep IceCold-WoW alive. We’ll try our best but we need your help too. Thanks for everyone that keeps checking back with us, it means a lot. If we can keep Ice open, in May this server has been around for 6 years. How time flies.

I think we should have a vote on which realm we'd like to see back up first, as to receive as much support as possible. If we want the server to stay alive, we should pick the option that everyone would like (either Hyjal, P.F, Eternian, whatever it may be).

and the reason for this is because I've seen more requests asking for Ice-Eternian's relaunch than asking when P.F is coming back or to restore max haste.

To answer the question above, the reason I played on Eternian was to experience old realm Eternion again (despite them now being 2 conpletely different realms). The thing that I liked most about Eternian is that materials drop from every mob (unlike Old Reaper, but this was changed in some higher end instances on Eternian). So at least new players feel as if they are progressing. The tiers are not very confusing either as there are only 3 types of gear - Ice Warden's I - X gear (which is the main gearset), Aractraz Gear (VIP 2 modified gear, but is considered non-vip) and PvP gear. All the dungeons are soloable by either non-vips or multiboxing which is nice (no need to wait for someone to come online to do a dungeon with). There are three bosses for everyone which include a beginner boss in the level 1 gear dungeon, a mid-level boss in the arena, and a high-end boss in Howling Fjord. Note that these bosses are designed for Non-Vips so they are considerably easier than the Vip-only boss. I like how these bosses are easy enough to kill in a small group. The only quirk with the realm is that there is only a few VIP benefits which include a mall and a VIP only boss. 

Edited by Moonkinstar
Added reason for vote, edits typos

18 minutes ago, Moonkinstar said:

I think we should have a vote on which realm we'd like to see back up first, as to receive as much support as possible. If we want the server to stay alive, we should pick the option that everyone would like (either Hyjal, P.F, Eternian, whatever it may be).

To answer the question above, the reason I played on Eternian was to experience old realm Eternion again (despite them now being 2 conpletely different realms). The thing that I liked most about Eternian is that materials drop from every mob (this was changed in some higher end instances). So at least new players feel as if they are progressing. The tiers are not very confusing either as there are only 3 types of gear - Ice Warden's I - X gear, Aractraz Gear (VIP 2 modified gear, but is considered non-vip) and PvP gear. All the dungeons are soloable by either non-vips or multiboxing which is nice (no need to wait for someone to come online to do a dungeon with). There are three bosses for everyone which include a beginner boss in the level 1 gear dungeon, a mid-level boss in the arena, and a high-end boss in Howling Fjord. Note that these bosses are designed for Non-Vips so they are considerably easier than the Vip-only boss. I like how these bosses are easy enough to kill in a small group. The only quirk with the realn is that there is only a few VIP benefits which include a mall and a VIP only boss. 

Thanks for your extensive explanation, we appreciate that. 

I think a vote, as fair as it would be, will not be happening. Reaper has had a lot of preparation for this where Eternian didn't. Offering the choice means a possibility for Eternian to win that poll, meaning we'd have to start from scratch. There's no way we will have an enjoyable Eternian live before the end of Januari, which is sort of a deadline as you can read above.

Something we can do is take your opinions into consideration when working on Ice-Hyjal. 

From what I read in your post the main reason you would choose for Eternian is the ability to solo. You want to be able to run the most of the content without needing additional players and/or donating.
In addition to this it is important to clarify what new players should and shouldn't do to progress, so that more new players stick around and our active player base grows. 
I suppose "because it's similar to a realm I used to play" can be dismissed as "never going to happen again anyway".

Does the above state your opinion about the matter?

6 minutes ago, Relmlen1990 said:

Wait so my donor on eternion is faeces and I'm faeces out of luck is what I'm seeing I kinda figured I would get shafted on the realm I liked and I would have to start over again reminds me of the old owners on which the server was based from.. pops sorry but not sorry

I am not sure how the original post would qualify as "getting shafted" but we are trying to keep the entire thing going here.

I'm sorry that you feel this way and thanks for staying with us so far.

What it means is I been waiting to play since you took it down. Now it's not coming back online till its fixed and the new realm going up till then I won't have my stuff as well I'm already a few months without being able to use my stuff now I'm being told it will be longer and the new realm will be like eternian but I don't get my stuff unless I pay for it again to be transfered to the new realm I mean I don't see how this inconvenience is a problem based on population when we had nothing to do with eternian going down. Ryan should know how this feels because I was a Gm with him on the old eternion and I can already see eternion not coming back and my gear geting eaten just like last time

Edited by Relmlen1990
typo on phone

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Relmlen1990 said:

What it means is I been waiting to play since you took it down. Now it's not coming back online till its fixed and the new realm going up till then I won't have my stuff as well I'm already a few months without being able to use my stuff now I'm being told it will be longer and the new realm will be like eternian but I don't get my stuff unless I pay for it again to be transfered to the new realm I mean I don't see how this inconvenience is a problem based on population when we had nothing to do with eternian going down. Ryan should know how this feels because I was a Gm with him on the old eternion and I can already see eternion not coming back and my gear geting eaten just like last time

Ryan our Eternian Ryan, has kind of gone AWOL with Banelings as far as I've heard, so they really don't have the resources to work on their realms+Eternian, which I completely understand. The thing is while Eternian is under Ice-Cold at the same time is largely independent, Vyn(Ryan) and Banelings along with their chosen staff were handling most everything with out Reaper-Ryan and Jordan really doing much more then occasionally nodding approval. So it's not really that Jordan and the others are shafting anyone, you have to realize that duplicating everyone's custom gear from Eternian would be a long and kind of pain in the ass task. Now to my understanding(Rick or someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I heard that you can reclaim VIP set purchases from Eternian on PF, never personally looked into it as I already had a VIP 7 on reaper with a different account which is besides the point. Bottom line is Jordan and the PF/Reaper staff are not shafting anyone, now I'm not going to say Vyn/Ryan and Banelings are or aren't shafting anyone I don't know what their situation is or if they ever plan on making an appearance. So the future of Eternian...well you guys saw them lay it out Eternian is still there they just need time, people, and resources to get it updated so its playable. I'm not saying throw them all your hard earned money in hopes of Eternian coming back...but maybe just give a little bit of faith and see if maybe Eternian does come back?

5 hours ago, RozeKnight said:

Ryan our Eternian Ryan, has kind of gone AWOL with Banelings

Eli quit around a year before Project Fire was even released. I've basically been shut out, haven't even been able to look at a simple admin ticket for the past 7 months. Sean quit because he wasn't getting paid for all his hard work (sounds greedy, but trust me, he did a lot, and he deserved it). Literally nothing we can do to help anyone, so not sure what we should say. Happy New Years I guess :)

• Staff

It's come to my attention that there are actually a large number of people willing to work on Eternian however they are being ignored and their requests to help left unanswered. So let me spell this out plainly. If people outside of the current staff work on PF/Hyjal are willing to dedicate time, money and resources to get Eternian running will you do it or are you just going to let Eternian gather dust and pray real hard that Hyjal saves you.

6 minutes ago, RozeKnight said:

It's come to my attention that there are actually a large number of people willing to work on Eternian however they are being ignored and their requests to help left unanswered. So let me spell this out plainly. If people outside of the current staff work on PF/Hyjal are willing to dedicate time, money and resources to get Eternian running will you do it or are you just going to let Eternian gather dust and pray real hard that Hyjal saves you.

Bringing Eternian back first isn't an option, doesn't matter who wants to help. It would take so much time, we have less than a month due to server bills. Eternian would probably take months & months to bring back.

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Thanagor said:

Bringing Eternian back first isn't an option, doesn't matter who wants to help. It would take so much time, we have less than a month due to server bills. Eternian would probably take months & months to bring back.

Yes I understand that you're trying to keep the server up and that Eternian cannot be brought up over night, However I can honestly say people will donate to see Eternian come back up. So again I state if we the people have the skills, the time, and the money to not only keep Ice-Cold afloat but also bring Eternian back....what's the problem?
I'm not trying to cause any problems or sit here and fight with you about it, I would just like to genuinely know what the issue is here that's preventing work from being done on Eternian.

Edited by OmegaRoze

The discussion regarding the future of Eternian and Ice all together has been continued in a more convenient place.

We will post updates every time important decisions are made. 

As this comes down to much more than "an opinion" we have to discover different options and find out what works best.

As meaningless as this may sound to you guys, stay tuned.

I for one didn't care much for eternian the dungeons took forever and almost no one ever wanted to group and help noobs. Don't even get me started on the pvp. Jesus christ. But when will hyjal be up and when can I get my money back for donation weapons bought on reaper.

It's not up yet. Captain ahab.

5 minutes ago, MAPaladin said:

But still as a new player i cant find "Ice-Hyjal" So how do you expect the new player base to "Save you" If you make it hard for us to login, let alone donate