Mac setup problems

Dingo

Question

Hi, I am new to this forum and apologise in advance if this post has found itself into the wrong area.

I am a Mac user and have been trying to find a WoW private server that will run on my Mac with few complications. Other options have lead me into portioning my HDD which was a problematic week of my life resulting in no success. Ice Cold looks like a great community so i'm itching to get started!

So i've downloaded the Mac setup package from the downloads page. Followed the instructions as far as put the contents into a new file and launching WoW. After about 20 seconds of a blank black screen the game music comes in and the visuals display but at a largely magnified scale. There is what appears to be a blank box with an accept or deny button however I can only move the cursor and not click anything.

I have attempted to screenshot this to show what I mean but am unable to. I've simply had to press escape and get out of the screen. Worth mentioning I have no WoW downloaded onto my computer, i'm wondering if I was meant to already have this?

Any help would be largely appreciated, after over a week of trying to get back onto WoW i'm getting rather painfully frustrated

Thanks again

Dingo

3 answers to this question

Hey Dingo,

Sounds like you've encountered the first time setup. The config file "config.wtf" in your WTF folder needs to be setup properly. Your video resolution needs to be raised to view all of the screen. The blank box you see is actually a file holder for the EULA that Blizzard had in there, but we deleted it for specific reasons that could be assumed.

In your case, you have no reason to worry. The launcher handles all files after you've started the game for the first time, and it will download the game files as you play. An easier way to read this can be found below in the TL;DR.

TL;DR: go to yourwowfolder/WTF open config.wtf in a text editor. Add this line if it doesn't exist, or edit the line to change the resolution to the correct setting for your screen+GPU:

SET gxResolution "1920x1080"

Start the launcher, choose the realm, login with your same credentials as this forum.

Hi Sean,

That does seem to have solved this initial problem. Now that I have the page running and I can login in it checks for updates and then fails to patch and restart. Any ideas here? Thanks in advance.

Error reads; "Failed to apply patch. Please try again later. If this problem persists you may need to reinstall or contact technical support."

Dingo

Hi Sean,

That does seem to have solved this initial problem. Now that I have the page running and I can login in it checks for updates and then fails to patch and restart. Any ideas here? Thanks in advance.

Error reads; "Failed to apply patch. Please try again later. If this problem persists you may need to reinstall or contact technical support."

Dingo

That sounds like you're logging into the game with your email address. Just use your username and password for this website.