GM question

hobby99

Question

About 2 years ago, i use to play on a private server back when they only supported WotLK 3.3.5 and i remember from back then that all you had to do was change the realmlist and right away you were in the private server and to change it back to retail WoW all you had to do is switch it back and you could play retail like nothing was ever changed. So my question is why is different in cata supported private servers than it was in WotLK supported servers a couple years ago, and now having to download a launcher now inorder to play instead of the classic switch the realmlist back and forth whenever you wanted to play between retail and private? sorry for all of the question posts, i just wanna make sure i got my facts straight before i decide to switch anything around.

14 answers to this question

For Funservers, admins make their own weapons called Custom Weapons. In order for some players to see those custom items they need a patch from the launcher. What the Custom Patch does is make the Custom Items usable by other players. If you don't have the custom item patch you will get an error like "Retrieving Item Information.

alright and a family member was wondering, he asked me if you install the launcher and all if does is put in a patch and switch the realmlist, then when you decide to switch back to playing retail WoW. what happens to the launcher? does it delete its self once you change the realmlist? and if you add the custom items patch for the private server, where is that stored and how does it not effect the retail WoW when you change the realmlist back?

so basically the IceCold-WoW launcher you install is just a patch called custom items, its not accutally a different/seperate launcher from retail WoW launcher correct? and so when you switch from IceCold-WoW to retail WoW, you delete Cache and IceCold.exe correct? so if i later decide to switch from retail to IceCold-WoW again, what would i all have to do inorder to play again?