Launcher

hobby99

Question

I have a question about the server launcher that you have to install inorder to play IceCold-WoW. My question is what does he launcher do the the files in retail WoW? Also i was wondering why you would have to install a different launcher if all it does is change the realmlist? i dont know if im misunderstanding anything but id like to have a game master help me understand what the launcher you install does to the files in your retail WoW and how if could potentually effect my game play on retail WoW. Please and Thank You

9 answers to this question

alright a question that goes along with that, i use to play on a private server back when they only supported WotLK 3.3.5 and i remember from back then that all you did was change the realmlist and right away you were in the private server and all you had to do is switch it back and you could play retail like nothing was ever changed. So my question to you is why is different in cata than WotLK and you have to download a launcher now?

• Owners

Cata servers (that have custom items) need launchers because the 4.x game works differently to 3.3.5, and does not work with private servers and custom items. Therefore the launcher applies patches (that don't affect retail) to enable it to work